Developing Brand Personality
WHAT IS BRAND PERSONALITY?
Brand Personality is a set of human traits associated with a brand. If your brand was a person, how would they behave? How would they speak? What clothes would they wear? If you think about some of the top brands, it is usually not too difficult to associate a personality with each one. For example, Nike’s personality is exciting, active, and inspirational. Apple is artistic, sophisticated, and creative. Amazon is sincere and competent.
WHY IS BRAND PERSONALITY IMPORTANT?
Brand Personality helps with communicating and connecting with customers. We live in an information-rich and time-poor society with a plethora of options when it comes to purchasing, so the old method of judging products just by features and benefits hardly works anymore. Oftentimes our individual preferences for brands lies in who we define ourselves as. When evaluating brands we consider things such as:
- What does it look like?
- What kind of people buy it?
- What do other people say about it?
- Who makes it?
- Do I trust the maker?
STEPS FOR DEVELOPING BRAND PERSONALITY
- Start by understanding exactly who your customer base is. If you don’t know who your customer is, you won’t know where to find them or how to talk to them. By profiling the customer, you can shed some light on who they are, where to find them, and how to talk to them.
- Pick apart your top customers’ personality types with the percentage of revenue dedicated towards each to develop Buyer Persona profiles.
- There’s no set amount of how many Buyer Personas you should have. You’ll have to figure out what works best for your business but it’s important to note that it is not about finding who you could sell to, it’s about narrowing it down to who you want to sell to.This will significantly help you develop your Brand Personality and shape your company’s direction with the imagery, messaging and content you put out.